Fall SEC Academic Honor Roll
Graduated high school early and began training with the Aggies in January...Saw the most action of all true freshmen on the team...Appeared in 27 of 31 matches throughout her rookie campaign, drawing the starting nod nine times...Saw action in 84 of 111 sets, mostly as a defensive specialist...Made her career debut in the season opener against South Dakota State on Aug. 30 and made her first career start in a 3-0 victory against No. 16 Florida State on Sept. 12...Appeared as the libero for the first time in her career in the last two sets at South Carolina on Oct. 6...Her very first play as libero resulted in her dig falling in for a kill for the first point of the set...Twice took team-high honors in digs, including a career-high 20 digs against Arkansas on Oct. 25...Posted double-figure digs in five matches...Was fourth on the team with 2.15 digs per set for the full season and was third on the team with 2.35 digs per set in SEC matches only...Member of the Fall SEC Academic Honor Roll.
PREVIOUS ATHLETIC EXPERIENCE
A four-year letterwinner and three-year starting libero for coach Ashley Ahlfinger at Cypress Woods High School, where she graduated magna cum laude...Also competed in track and field her first two years -- which included an appearance in regionals in the 4x100 meter relay as a freshman -- before concentrating solely on volleyball...Helped lead the Wildcats to four volleyball district titles, a 161-20 (.890) overall record which included three seasons with 40 or more wins, and an appearance in the state semifinals during her career...Capped her prep career by being named District 17-5A’s top libero for the third consecutive year...Also was named first-team all-state by the Texas Girls Coaches Association and was named AVCA Under Armour Honorable Mention as a senior...In addition, was named to Prepvolleyball.com’s Senior Aces (101-250) and to the 2012-13 LoneStarVolleyball.com All-Texas First Team...Earned academic honors every year throughout her career, having been named to both the Academic All-District 17-5A team and the AVCA Academic Award Winner list all four years...Played for Texas Tornados and Houston Juniors volleyball club teams and was a seven-time participant at USA Volleyball Junior National Championships...Club coaches were former Aggie letterwinners Jennifer (Wells) Kazmierski and Courtnee Rhodes and former Olympian Tara Cross-Battle, as well as Lauren Rhodes, Kara Waddel and Jeff Ham.
Victoria Arenas is the daughter of Rodrigo and Kay Arenas, who both played college tennis at McNeese...Is the youngest of three girls, all of whom play or played volleyball as a libero/defensive specialist at the college level...Her oldest sister, Cristina, began her college volleyball career at Texas and finished her career in 2012 at Alabama, and Daniela is currently a senior libero/defensive specialist at Rice...Victoria began playing volleyball when she was 12 years old...Chose to pursue volleyball over other sports, because “As much as I LOVED basketball, there is something intangible about volleyball that I couldn’t get enough of! I crave the adrenaline rush of taking away a kill from an opponent and running down balls.”...Only official recruiting visit was to Texas A&M...Chose to attend A&M because, “it was perfect! Close to home, which was a necessity, the university has a great reputation and spirit, and the volleyball program is competitive. The girls on the team were very welcoming, and I just knew that it was where I was supposed to be.”...Most memorable moments in athletics are playing high school volleyball with her sister and playing in the 2013 NCAA tournament...Although favorite number is 5, chose to wear the No. 14 jersey because No. 5 was unavailable and 1+4=5, which also is the number of her oldest sister’s first jersey and it also was the number worn by former Aggie Olympian and volleyball idol Stacy Sykora while representing USA...Hobbies include shopping, going to the lake, being active and being outdoors...Is majoring in kinesiology motor behavior with a minor in sport management...Career ambition is to be a physical therapist...Born February 23, 1995, in Houston, Texas.
ARENAS UP CLOSE
- Favorite class subject: Science
- Favorite quote: “What lies before us and what lies behind us are small matters compared to what lies within us. And when you bring what is within out into the world, miracles happen.” - Henry David Thoreau
- Favorite volleyball player: Stacey Sykora
- Favorite athlete (any sport): Maya Moore
- Favorite professional sports team (any sport): Houston Rockets
- Favorite social media site: Instagram
- Favorite app: Google Maps
- Favorite food: Guacamole
- Favorite TV show: Greys Anatomy!!!
- Favorite book: I don't read...
- Favorite movie: Stick it
- Favorite part about the sport of volleyball: Digging some spikes!
- Favorite sport to play other than volleyball: Table tennis
- Favorite thing about A&M: Tradition!
- Favorite Aggie tradition: The Aggie Ring
- Favorite Karaoke song to sing: Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
- My nickname is: Tori, Toro, Toy, Vic, Victor, Posh (Spice)
- One word to describe me when I’m on the court: Sporadic
- One word to describe me away from the court: Sarcastic
- The person who has had the greatest impact on my athletic career: Parents!
- The accomplishment (athletic or non-athletic) that I am most proud of: Getting to A&M
- The person I would most like to meet: Henry David Thoreau
- People have told me that I look like (name of celebrity): Eva Longoria
- Song played most on my iPod: Sweetly Broken by Jeremy Riddle
- When I was little, I dreamed of being an: Astronaut
- What Duck Dynasty character are you most like: Jace
- Early bird or night owl: The earliest bird
- Something I've always wanted to do but haven't: Go to Spain
- The reality show I would most like to participate in is: The Amazing Race
- I can’t believe I watch this show: Keeping Up with the Kardashians
- My hidden talent: procrastinating
- My most prized possession: None
- My most annoying habit: Sarcasm
- My pet peeve: People not walking my speed... Mom
- My superstitions: Not retying my shoes at all costs
- After I graduate, I plan to: Go to more school. (PT School)
- My dream job is: Physical therapist for the Olympic Training National Team
- The A&M player who will surprise people the most this year: Stephanie Aiple
- The teammate who can always make me laugh: They're all goofballs but Stephanie Aiple for sure
Teammate who would be the best candidate for:
- The Voice: Katelyn Labhart
- Dancing with the Stars: Angela Lowak
- Amazing Race: Me!
- Wipeout: Kaysie Shebeneck... She wouldn't win, but she would be entertaining
- Survivor: Darby Graff
- America’s Next Top Model: Shelby Sullivan
- Project Runway: Hannah Hood
- Shark Tank: Darby Graff
- Cupcake Wars: I like cupcakes so me
- MasterChef: Hannah Hood
- Teammate who is the biggest One Direction fan: ehh, I don't think anyone, but I'm a sucker for Justin Timberlake
- Teammate most likely to be on People’s “Best Dressed” list: Shelby Sullivan
- Teammate most likely to become president: Katelyn told me to say her