Texas A&M AGGIES (13-14, 4-11) at Oklahoma State COWBOYS (13-15, 6-9)
Saturday, February 25, 2012 • 1:05 PM CT • TV: ESPN2 HD
Gallagher-Iba Arena (13,611) • Stillwater, Oklahoma
TELEVISION: ESPN2 HD
Mark Neely, Play-by-Play
Fran Fraschilla, Commentary
RADIO: Texas A&M Sports Network
Dave South, Play-by-Play
Al Pulliam, Commentary
Local: WTAW-AM 1620
Satellite Radio: Sirius 117/XM 190 (OSU feed)
LIVE AUDIO/STATS: aggieathletics.com
Snapshot: Texas A&M
Record: 13-14, 4-11 Big 12
Streak: Lost 2
Last 5 / Last 10: 1-4 / 3-7
on the Road: 2-8
Last Game: lost to (#4) Kansas (H), 66-58 (Wed.)
Head Coach: Billy Kennedy (SE Louisiana '86)
Record: 224-193 (14th year)
at Texas A&M: 13-14 (first year)
vs. OSU: 1-2
A&M Probable Starters (based on previous game)
No. Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Cl. PPG RPG APG GP / Min
10 David Loubeau F 6-8 234 Sr. 10.8 4.5 0.6 27 / 26.6
13 Jordan Green G 6-4 181 Fr. 3.9 2.0 1.3 27 / 17.7
22 Khris Middleton F 6-7 217 Jr. 12.5 5.1 2.1 15 / 26.4
31 Elston Turner G 6-5 211 Jr. 14.1 3.7 2.4 27 / 33.3
35 Ray Turner F 6-9 232 Jr. 8.9 5.5 0.4b 27 / 22.1
Snapshot: Oklahoma State
Record: 13-15, 6-9 Big 12
Streak: Lost 1
Last 5 / Last 10: 2-3 / 4-6
at Home: 10-3
Last Game: lost to Oklahoma (A), 77-64 (Wed.)
Head Coach: Travis Ford (Kentucky '94)
Record: 268-198 (15th year)
at OSU: 78-52 (fourth year)
vs. Texas A&M: 2-5
Oklahoma State Probable Starters (based on previous game)
No. Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Cl. PPG RPG APG GP / Min
2 Le'Bryan Nash F 6-7 230 Fr. 13.3 5.0 1.5 28 / 30.1
4 Brian Williams G 6-5 205 RFr. 8.2 3.0 0.7 27 / 25.9
12 Keiton Page G 5-9 165 Sr. 16.2 1.7 2.1 27 / 35.1
20 Michael Cobbins F 6-8 220 RFr. 5.5 5.6 1.6b 28 / 26.2
22 Markel Brown G 6-3 190 So. 10.6 5.3 2.2 28 / 30.4
Series History: OSU leads, 30-17
A&M streak: Won 4
In Stillwater: Oklahoma State leads, 13-4
At Gallagher-Iba Arena: Oklahoma State leads, 13-3
In College Station: Oklahoma State leads, 12-11
At Reed Arena: series tied, 7-7
At Neutral Sites: Oklahoma State leads, 5-2
At Big 12 Tournament: Oklahoma State leads, 1-0
Longest A&M Win Streak: 5 games
Longest Oklahoma State Win Streak: 11 games
Largest A&M Win: 23 (71-48, 01/12/11)
Largest OSU Win: 35 (100-65, 01/03/98)
Billy Kennedy vs. Oklahoma State: 1-2
Travis Ford vs. A&M: 2-5
- the series dates back to the 1917-18 season ... Saturday's game will mark the 48th between the schools, making it the 10th most played rivalry in A&M history.
- A&M has won in 3 of its last 5 trips to Gallagher-Iba Arena ... prior to 2007, the Aggies were winless inside GIA ... last year, A&M battled its way to a 67-66 victory.
- Texas A&M is looking for its fifth straight win over the Cowboys, which would match a school record ... the Aggies won 5 straight over then Oklahoma A&M from 1918-24.
- The Aggies recorded a 76-61 win last month at Reed Arena ... Elston Turner scored 23 in the game, while walk-on guard Alex Baird played 21 minutes of turnover-free basketball-nearly quadrupling his career minutes total.
- Billy Kennedy's two previous meetings with OSU came in the 2005 NCAA First Round, while at Southeastern Louisiana, and in the final round of the 76 Classic last fall while at Murray State.
Last 10 Meetings:
Date AM/Op Rk Site Score
- complete series history can be found in media fact book -
2007 M9 7 /- Oklahoma City L 56-57
2008 J26 16/- Stillwater W 59-56
2008 F16 16/- College Station L 54-59
2009 J10 Stillwater L 61-72
2009 J31 College Station W 76-64
2010 J27 Stillwater L 69-76
2010 M3 23/- College Station W 76-61
2011 J12 13/- College Station W 71-48
2011 F19 17/- Stillwater W 67-66
2012 J28 College Station W 76-61
Tale of the Tape
61.3 points/game 67.4
60.4 opp. points/game 68.2
+0.9 scoring margin -0.2
.436 field goal % .418
.397 opp. field goal % .417
.333 3-point % .319
34.6 rebounds 33.0
+1.9 rebound margin +0.9
12.1 assists 10.8
13.7 turnovers 12.1
5.6 steals 6.4
2.3 blocks 4.6
- The Aggies lead the Big 12 in two defensive categories (through Feb. 24): scoring defense and 3-point FG% defense; A&M ranks third in defensive rebound percentage and field-goal percentage defense.
- Through games of Feb. 19, Texas A&M ranked 16th nationally in 3-point FG% defense.
- Texas A&M held No. 4 Kansas to 38.9 percent shooting on Wednesday, the Jayhawks' lowest output in Big 12 play this year and second lowest overall (No. 2 Kentucky held KU to 33.9%) ... KU also was held to 22.2 percent from behind the arc (4-of-18) ... Kansas has shot worse than that from long range just twice this year (20.0% vs A&M, 1/23; 21.1% at OU, 1/7).
- The Aggie defense has competed hard against the best offenses the league have to offer in Missouri, Kansas and Baylor ... A&M has held all three teams below their season field-goal percentages and well below their season point averages:
Aggie defense vs Big 12's top offenses
Opponent FG% (NCAA Rk) FG% vs A&M PPG (NCAA Rk) PPG vs A&M
Missouri 49.8 ( 2) 47.7 79.5 ( 7) 70.5
Kansas 48.3 (16) 40.6 74.7 (39) 65.0
Baylor 47.5 (25) 39.4 74.6 (43) 62.0
COMBINED 48.5 42.3 76.3 65.8
- A&M fell behind Kansas by as many as 21 points Wednesday (47-26, 13:25 left in game) and trailed KU by 18 (55-37) with 6:58 to go ... as the Aggies have done all season, they showed no quit and went on a 16-2 run to make the score 57-53 with just over 2 minutes to go, but Kansas was able to hang on for the victory.
- despite coming up short in games against Baylor, Texas, Missouri and Kansas, the Aggies faced large second-half deficits yet battled back into each game ... a look at A&M's second-half rallies in February:
A&M's second-half rallies in February
Opponent 2nd-Half Deficit A&M Comeback Final
#6 Baylor (2/1) 13 (25-38), 19:45 left tied (42-42), 13:35 left L, 60-63
Texas (2/6) 9 (46-55), 10:49 left tied (66-66), 1:09 left L, 68-70
at Texas Tech (2/14) 9 (17-26), 19:59 left tied (26-26), 17:22 left W, 47-38
#3 Missouri (2/18) 13 (43-56), 7:36 left down 5 (60-65), 1:22 left L, 62-71
#4 Kansas (2/22) 20 (29-49), 11:06 left down 4 (53-57), 2:08 left L, 58-66
- The Aggies' last 4 home losses have come by an average of 5.5 points, to No. 6 Baylor, Texas, No. 3 Missouri and No. 4 KU.
- A&M has played five top-5 opponents this year, a new school record ... all have come in Big 12 play, also a school record ... the Aggies' last two games have come against Missouri (No. 3) and Kansas (No. 4), the first time in school history the Aggies have played two straight against top-5 foes.
- Seven of A&M's losses this year have come to teams currently ranked in the top 13 nationally, five of which have come away from home (#3 Missouri (twice), #4 Kansas (twice), #11 Florida, #13 Baylor [twice]).
- The Aggies' conference road losses this year have come to Baylor, Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State, squads that have combined to go 81-12 at home.
- The Aggies have won 53 Big 12 games since the start of the 2007 league season ... prior to that, A&M had totaled only 43 victories in the first 10 years of Big 12 play (53-40 since 2006, 43-116 from 1997-2006).
- A&M has finished .500 or better in Big 12 play in each of the past 7 years, one of just 3 teams to do so (Kansas, Texas).
- A&M is one of just 12 schools that have made the NCAA Tournament in each of the last 6 seasons (Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Marquette, Michigan State, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Villanova, Wisconsin, Xavier).
- Texas A&M is one of only 8 schools in the entire country that have won 24 or more games in each of the last 5 seasons (Butler, BYU, Kansas, Memphis, Pittsburgh, Texas A&M, VCU, Xavier).
Scouting Oklahoma State
- Oklahoma State is 13-15 on the year and 6-9 in Big 12 play ... the Cowboys have lost four of their last six games, but the two wins have been over Iowa State and Texas ... OSU is 10-3 at home this year and has won five of seven league contests at Gallagher-Iba Arena ... the Cowboys enter the game off a 77-64 loss to rival Oklahoma on Wednesday night in Norman.
- The Cowboys are led by senior G Keiton Page (16.2 ppg), who is second in the Big 12 in scoring in league games (18.2/game) ... the reigning Big 12 Player of the Week, Page is averaging 30.7 points in his last three games, including a 29-point effort against the Sooners ... two other Cowboys, Le'Bryan Nash (13.3 ppg) and Markel Brown (10.6 ppg) average 10-plus points ... Michael Cobbins leads OSU in rebounds (5.6/game) and blocks (45).
- Travis Ford (Kentucky '94) is in his fourth season at Oklahoma State with a record of 78-52 ... in his 15th season as a head coach, Ford has 268 career victories.
- Aggie associate head coach Glynn Cyprien spent four seasons with Eddie Sutton at Oklahoma State (2000-04), helping lead the Cowboys to 97 wins and four straight NCAA Tournaments, including a trip to the 2004 Final Four in San Antonio.
- A&M assistant Kyle Keller spent nine seasons at OSU (1999-2008) on the staffs of Eddie and Shawn Sutton ... he was on the Cowboys' staff for an Elite Eight run in 2000 and a trip to the Final Four in 2004.
- The Aggies have allowed just one Big 12 opponent to score more points than its season average (Oklahoma, who needed OT to do so).
- A&M is shooting 38 percent from 3-point range over its last 10 games (averaging 6.0 threes per game) ... the Aggies rank fourth in league games in 3-point field goals (5.7/game).
- Texas A&M's starting rotation has seen lots of action in conference play ... in Big 12 games, A&M starters are averaging 29.0 minutes a game (after averaging 25 a game in non-conference play) ... all five starters played at least 30 minutes against Texas (Jan. 11), the first time that's happened on an Aggie team since March 2007 (Big 12 quarterfinal vs Oklahoma State).
- A&M has seen its free-throw percentage take a slight up-turn in Big 12 play ... the Aggies shot 61.6 percent from the line in non-conference play, but has shot 67.5 percent in Big 12 action.
- A&M is shooting 71 percent from the line in the second half of Big 12 games ... the Aggies have shot just 59.7 percent in the first half.
- The Aggies are 12-0 this year when leading with 5 minutes to play and 11-3 this year when leading at halftime (losses at Kansas, at K-State, home Texas).
- A&M is 11-3 when holding opponents under 40 percent from the field (losses to Baylor, Baylor and Kansas).
- The Aggies have held 11 of their opponents under 60 points and are unbeaten in those games.
- A&M has held 8 opponents under 35 percent shooting (8-0).
- The Aggies are 9-2 this year when shooting more free throws than their opponent (loss to Texas, at Iowa State) and 10-1 when out-rebounding them (loss is to Texas).
- A&M has already bested last year's total for blocks, and did so in just 20 games ... the Aggies are averaging 2.3 blocks per game this year (63 blocks), up from last year's average of 1.5 (51 in 33 games).
- The Aggies have won 4 of their last 5 overtime games dating back to last season.
- A&M has won nearly 70 percent of its games since the start of the 2006-07 season (137-59, .699) ... the Aggies are 179-77 (.699) since the start of the '04-05 campaign.
- has slid over and started at the point in each of the last 7 games (36.8 min/gm) for the injured Dash Harris.
- in the top 10 of the Big 12 rankings in three categories (points, minutes, 3-point field goals) this season.
- became the first Aggie since Acie Law in 2007 to score 20-plus in three straight Big 12 games (23 vs OU - 1/21, 24 at KU - 1/23, 23 vs OSU - 1/28).
- averaging 15.1 points per game in Big 12 play, eighth-best in the league ... scored 10+ points in 12 of 15 league games.
- In 7 games against ranked opponents (all ranked 13th or higher), is averaging 14.7 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.3 assists.
- has scored 10-plus points in 20 games this year ... he did so just 9 times in 66 games in two seasons at Washington.
- has hit 57 percent of his 3-point shots (8-of-14) over last 5 games.
- minutes have sharply increased over his last 6 games, averaging 27.7 per game over that span ... 6.7 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 2.7 ast in his last 6 games ... poured in a season-high 14 against Kansas State (2/4).
- shooting 40% from floor and 46% from 3-point range overall in Big 12 play ... shot 31% from field and 14% from beyond the arc in non-conference action.
- has hit double figures in 8 of last 11 games.
- became only the 16th player in school history this year to score 1,000 career points and grab 500 career rebounds ... ranks 23rd all-time in scoring (1,154 points) and needs 8 points to become one of the top 20 most prolific scorers in school history ... ranks 18th all-time in rebounds (556).
- has played in 128 career games, seventh all-time in program history.
- nice job on the court in Khris Middleton's absence over last several weeks ... over a 6-game span, averaged 6.8 points and 3.7 rebounds and shot 50 percent from the floor ... while in the starting rotation for 4 games, averaged 30.8 minutes.
- set career highs in consecutive games this month, scoring 12 against Baylor (2/1) after posting 11 against Oklahoma State (1/28) on 5-of-6 shooting.
- has started 11 of A&M's Big 12 games at the "5" position ... averaging 19.8 minutes in league play.
- averaging 7.0 points and 4.5 rebounds off the bench in Big 12 play (13 games) ... averaging 11.6 points and a team-high 6.5 rebounds at home (17 games).
- named to the Academic All-Big 12 second team.
- has scored 10-plus points in 14 games this year ... the Aggies are 9-5 in those contests.
- has posted four double-doubles-the first of his career-including a 13-point, 12-rebound effort against Iowa State (1/7) and a 13-point, 11-board game against Baylor (2/1)... his 15 boards vs Arkansas Tech (12/29) were a career high and the most by an Aggie in a game since March 2010.
- averaged 11.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 30.5 minutes last week (Texas Tech/Missouri) ... scored season (and career) high 14 (6-8 FG) against No. 3 Missouri (2/18).
- played a career-high 32 minutes in win at Texas Tech (2/14) ... scored 9 points and matched a season high with 5 rebounds while dishing out a team-best 3 assists.
- strong 31 minutes of play against OSU (1/28) after getting the starting nod ... scored 8 points on 4-of-6 shooting, a personal best in Big 12 play ... primary focus was limiting Cowboys' guard Keiton Page (entered 14.7 ppg), and held him to 2-of-13 from the floor and 9 total points.
- returned to floor Wednesday vs No. 4 Kansas after missing previous 7 games with right foot injury ... played 24 minutes off bench, scoring 8 points, grabbing 3 boards and dishing out 4 assists.
- averaging 7.4 points, 3.8 rebounds and 4.6 assists in Big 12 play ... matched a career high with 14 in win over OU (1/21).
- leads the team in assists (4.3/game), steals (1.4) and assist-to-turnover ratio (2.4).
- moved into the top 10 in school history in career assists and steals in win over Texas Tech (Jan. 14) ... ranks ninth in both categories (362 assists, 133 steals) ... he is one of only 8 players in A&M history to record 300 assists and 100 steals (list on page 9).
- got the starting nod in the last two games, against No. 3 Missouri (2/18) and No. 4 Kansas (2/22) ... averaged 19 points and 4.5 rebounds and shot at 52 percent clip ... scored 23 (8-14 FG) with 5 boards against the Jayhawks on Wednesday.
- saw action off bench in the 2 prior games (Iowa State, Texas Tech), averaging 7 points, 4 rebounds and 22 minutes ... missed the 5 games previous to that after re-injuring knee early in OT win over Oklahoma (1/21) ... underwent surgery (11/11) to repair partially torn meniscus in right knee ... suffered injury in season opener vs Liberty (11/9) ... missed 7 games, returned vs ULM (12/10).
- picked up first double-double of career at Texas (1/11), 19 pts, 10 rebs ... 10 boards were a career high.
- hard work in practice earned him first start of A&M career vs No. 3 Missouri (2/18) ... played a season-high 31 minutes and scored 5 points.
- reserve senior walk-on point guard played 21 minutes against OSU (1/28) in lieu of injured Dash Harris, dishing out 3 assists, posting 0 turnovers and grabbing 4 rebounds ... took the floor against the Cowboys with a total of 6 career minutes of action in 8 games played.
- played 9 minutes (0 assists, 0 turnovers) and grabbed 2 boards against Baylor (2/1).
Aggie Hoops Turns 100
- The Aggies are in the midst of the 100th season of basketball at Texas A&M University ... the first team was fielded for the 1912-13 campaign.
- The inaugural team was coached by F.D. Steger and won its first ever game (date unknown) over Marlin (Texas) High School, 78-8 ... the first "collegiate" opponent for the program was later that season with a pair of games against Sam Houston Normal Institute (now Sam Houston State University).
This Week in History
- FEB. 20, 1973: Randy Knowles goes 20-of-30 from the field (42 points) in a 108-82 win over Arkansas.
- FEB. 24, 2009: Josh Carter drains a 3-pointer at the buzzer to give the Aggies a 57-55 win over Nebraska in Lincoln, a shot that sparked A&M's late-season run to the NCAA Tournament.
- FEB. 27, 2010: A school-record crowd of 13,717 watches Texas A&M knock off Texas, 74-58, at Reed.
- Texas A&M hosts Kansas State Tuesday on "senior night" (6 p.m., ESPN2) ... the Aggies then close the regular season back in the Sooner State against Oklahoma (Saturday, 3 p.m., Big 12 Network).