TEXAS A&M BASKETBALL 2011-12 SEASON NOTEBOOK
Games Played: four players with 32
Starts: Elston Turner (Jr.)/David Loubeau (Sr.), 31
Points/Game: Elston Turner (Jr.), 13.8
Assists/Game: Dash Harris (Sr.), 4.1
Rebounds/Game: Ray Turner (Jr.), 5.5
Steals/Game: Dash Harris (Sr.), 1.4
Blocks/Game: Keith Davis (So.), 0.6
Minutes/Game: Elston Turner (Jr.), 33.8
Field Goal Pct.: Ray Turner (Jr.), 57.3
3-Point FG Pct.: Elston Turner (Jr.), 38.9
Free Throw Pct.: Elston Turner (Jr.), 79.1
- Texas A&M is one of only 20 teams in the entire country which have advanced to the NCAA Tournament in (at least) 6 of the last 7 years ... joining the Aggies are BYU, Duke, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Marquette, Memphis, Michigan State, North Carolina, Ohio State, Pitt, Purdue, Texas, Villanova, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Xavier.
- A&M has won nearly 70 percent of its games over the last 8 years (180-81, .690).
- The Aggies have won 53 Big 12 games since the start of the 2007 league season ... prior to that, A&M had totaled only 43 victories in the first 10 years of Big 12 play (53-43 since 2006, 43-116 from 1997-2006).
COACH BILLY KENNEDY
- Billy Kennedy was named the 21st coach in Texas A&M men's basketball history on May 16, 2011 ... he is a native of New Orleans and has spent 14 seasons as a head coach, with a record of 225-197 ... over the last three seasons, his teams have combined to post a record of 68-32.
- Over his last 8 years as a head coach, Kennedy's teams have averaged 20 wins a season, earned four conference titles and made three trips to the postseason-two to the NCAA Tournament and one in the NIT ... in addition, the Murray State squad which he built before heading to College Station finished the 2012 season 31-2, won the Ohio Valley title at 15-1 and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
- Kennedy's veteran staff in Aggieland has a combined 94 years of collegiate coaching experience and over the last 11 years has been a part of 18 conference titles and 22 postseasons (15 NCAA, 7 NIT).
- Injuries to key players plagued the Aggies throughout the season ... A&M lost a total of 40 games due to injury, including Kourtney Roberson (21), Khris Middleton (12) and Dash Harris (7) ... 30 of those missed games came in Big 12 play.
- Texas A&M played six games in 2011-12 against top-five opponents, a school record.
- Despite being shorthanded with injuries, the Aggies competed hard to the end against the league's (and nation's) best ... in A&M's last four regular-season games against top-10 opponents, the Aggies were outscored by an average of just 7.5 points while holding those foes to an average of 66 a game.
- A&M finished league play with just 4 wins but were in many close games ... half of A&M's Big 12 games (9 of 18) were decided by fewer than 10 points, with the Aggies posting a 2-7 record in those contests.
- The Aggies' last 5 home losses came by an average of 5.6 points (No. 6 Baylor, Texas, No. 3 Missouri, No. 4 Kansas, K-State).
- Texas A&M played 14 games against NCAA Tournament teams in 2011-12 ... 12 of the Aggies' 18 losses this year came to teams seeded 8th or higher in the Big Dance ... 7 came to teams who earned a No. 3 seed or higher.
- The Aggies opened the Big 12 Championship with a 62-53 win over Oklahoma ... it was A&M's third consecutive tourney-opening win.
- The Aggies held opponents to a Big 12-leading 61.5 points per game ... only three A&M teams have allowed fewer points in the shot clock era--2006-07 (59.4 ppg), 2005-06 (60.3 ppg) and 2010-11 (60.9 ppg) ... the total ranks sixth all-time in the modern history of Aggie basketball (since 1960), also trailing the 1979-80 (59.8 ppg) and 1980-81 (60.4 ppg) squads.
- A&M's 3-point FG% defense percentage of 31.4 was the second-lowest in school history, trailing only the '06-07 team (29.4).
- A&M held Big 12 opponents to 64.6 points per game, the third-lowest in school history (in Big 12 play) behind 2006 (62.2) and 2011 (63.7).
- The Aggies allowed only two league foes to score more points than their season average (Oklahoma, which needed overtime to do so, and Kansas State).
- Only two teams shot better than 50 percent from the floor against A&M on the year.
- Texas A&M held the Big 12's three most prolific offenses-Missouri, Kansas and Baylor-well below their season averages for points and field-goal percentage during the regular season ... the trio combined to shoot 48.5 percent during the regular season but just 42.3 percent against A&M, and as a group averaged 76.3 points per game during the year but only 65.8 against the Aggies.
SALUTING THE SENIORS
- A&M's senior class (Dash Harris, David Loubeau) will go down as one of the winningest in school history ... the Class of '12 finished with 86 wins, fifth most all-time at A&M behind 2010 (100), 2009 (98), 2011 (97) and 2008 (95).
- The Class of '12 advanced to three NCAA Tournaments, posted three 20-win seasons and led the Aggies to a 57-12 record at Reed Arena.
- Texas A&M was undefeated (13-0) when leading with 5 minutes to play.
- A&M was 12-3 when holding the lead at the half.
- A&M was 12-3 when holding foes under 40 percent shooting.
- The Aggies were undefeated (12-0) when holding opponents under 60 points.
- A&M was 7-4 when grabbing 12 or more offensive rebounds.
- A&M went 9-2 when shooting more free throws than their opponent.
- A&M was 11-3 when out-rebounding its opponent.
BIG 12 HONORS
- Texas A&M placed two on the coaches' All-Big 12 teams, released March 4 ... senior David Loubeau and junior Elston Turner were honorable mention selections ... it marked the second straight All-Big 12 honor for Loubeau and the first of Turner's career.
REED ARENA SUCCESS
- A&M is 57-12 at Reed Arena since the start of the 2008-09 season with a 22-11 mark in conference games.
- The Aggies are 91-17 (.843) at home since the start of the 2006-07 season and are 124-22 (.849) since the start of the 2004-05 campaign.
- A&M has won 39 of its last 44 home games against unranked opponents (15 of last 19 in Big 12 play).
- A&M is 165-63 (.724) in 13 seasons at Reed Arena ... the Aggies were 41-41 the first six years at Reed and are 124-22 since.
- Texas A&M went 8-1 in non-conference games at Reed Arena in 2011 ... the Aggies are 100-10 (.909) all-time in non-conference games inside the facility, which hosted its first basketball game in the fall of 1998 ... a loss to Rice on Dec. 22 snapped A&M's 67-game non-conference home win streak at Reed Arena (which dated back to the start of the 2005-06 season) and 80-game regular-season, non-conference home win streak (which dated back to 2003), both school records.
HISTORIC DEFENSIVE EFFORT
- Texas A&M recorded one of its strongest defensive outings in over 50 years in a 47-38 win at Texas Tech (2/14) ... the 38 points allowed were the fewest in a conference game for A&M since 1959 (73-29 win over Texas, Jan. 16, 1959).
- A&M's previous low for points allowed in a Big 12 game was 43 (46-43 win over Texas, March 1, 2006).
- Texas Tech's 38 points were the fewest a Red Raider team had scored in the shot clock era (1985-86 season) ... it was also the fewest points Tech had ever scored against an Aggie team (126 meetings).
- Tech led the game, 24-9, with 6:32 left in the first half ... A&M held the Red Raiders to 14 points over the final 26 minutes, 32 seconds of the contest ... Tech shot 61% (11-of-18) en route to the 15-point lead but was held to 23% (6-of-26) from that point on, and did not score in the final 5:05 of the game.
AWARDS AND HONORS (as of March 20, 2012)
Dash Harris Bob Cousy Award Watch List
David Loubeau All-Big 12 (honorable mention)
Khris Middleton Wooden Award Watch List
Naismith Award Watch List
Preseason All-Big 12 Team
USA World University Games Team Training Camp
Kourtney Roberson 2K Sports Classic All-Tournament Team
Elston Turner All-Big 12 (honorable mention)
Ray Turner Academic All-Big 12 (second team)
STARTERS ELIGIBLE TO RETURN (3)
G Elston Turner Jr.* 32 games/31 starts, 13.8 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2.3 apg
F Khris Middleton Jr.* 20 games/17 starts, 13.2 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 2.3 apg
F Ray Turner Jr.* 32 games/16 starts, 9.1 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 0.4 bpg
OTHER ELIGIBLE RETURNEES (8)
C Keith Davis So.* 32 games/14 starts, 1.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 0.6 bpg
G Jordan Green Fr.* 31 games/13 starts, 3.4 ppg, 1.7 rpg
G Naji Hibbert Jr.* 26 games/8 starts, 3.8 ppg, 2.0 rpg
F Daniel Alexander RFr.* 28 games/4 starts, 2.4 ppg, 2.3 rpg
F Kourtney Roberson So.* 9 games, 4.6 ppg, 4.9 rpg
G Blake McDonald So.* 5 games, no stats
F Jarod Jahns Sr.* 6 games, no stats
F Grant Jolly Fr.* 3 games, 0.3 ppg
* 2011-12 classification
STATS ELIGIBLE TO RETURN
Category Total Returning Pct.
Starts 160 103 64.4
Minutes 6,425 4,329 67.4
Points 1,956 1,354 69.2
Rebounds 1,087 821 75.5
Assists 375 219 58.4
Blocks 71 55 77.5
3-Point FGs 162 126 77.8
Free Throws 330 218 66.1
LETTERWINNERS LOST (4)
G Dash Harris* 25 games/24 starts, 6.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 4.1 apg
F David Loubeau* 32 games/31 starts, 11.0 ppg, 4.6 rpg
G/F Zach Kinsley 24 games/2 starts, 2.1 ppg, 0.6 rpg
G Alex Baird 9 games, 0.2 ppg, 0.7 rpg
- Senior Dash Harris finished his career with 379 assists (7th all time) and 140 steals (8th all time) ... he closed his A&M career as one of just eight players in school history to total 300 assists and 100 steals.
- Senior David Loubeau finished his career with 1,215 points (19th all time) and 581 rebounds (16th all time) ... he ended his Aggie career as one of just 11 players in school history to score 1,200 points and grab 500 rebounds ... Loubeau finished his career playing in 133 games, fourth all-time at A&M behind Donald Sloan (138), Bryan Davis (135) and Josh Carter (135) ... Loubeau played in 66 career Big 12 games, a league record and the most conference appearances by an Aggie in school history.
- Junior Elston Turner hit 71 3-pointers, ranking seventh on the school's all-time single-season charts ... he became only the fifth player in school history to hit at least 70 treys in a season (Josh Carter 3 times, Bernard King, Derrick Hart, Antoine Wright) ... Turner hit 45 threes in Big 12 play, second most in school history (Bernard King, 48) ... he also played in a school-record 651 minutes in conference play.
- Junior Khris Middleton finished the year with 983 points ... he will enter his senior campaign needing just 17 to become the 33rd member of A&M's 1,000-point club ... Middleton is also 402 points shy of becoming one of the top 10 scorers in Aggie basketball history.