“I thought Missouri did an outstanding job in the doubles point considering we were up significantly in all three matches and they hung in there and played really well,” A&M head coach Howard Joffe said. “It made the doubles point very interesting. I’m proud of our kids for absorbing the angst and stress. As the scoreboard would indicate, we performed very well in the singles and were able to get to four rather quickly. I’m glad the team is able to go out and relax on Sunday versus playing matches the day before school”
Texas A&M remained unbeaten in conference play in doubles matches, posting victories on courts one and two to take the 1-0 edge. The Aggies double team of 60th-ranked Ines Deheza and Saska Gavrilovska quickly dispatched Madison Rhyner and Cassidy Spearman of the Tigers, 8-2, at the No. 2 line. The 23rd-ranked duo of Cristina Stancu and Stefania Hristov downed Missouri’s pair of Cierra Gaytan-Leach and Rachel Stuhlman, 8-6, at the No. 1 line to clinch the point.
A&M continued to roll in singles, pouncing on the Tigers for first set victories on all six courts. Gavrilovska, the nation’s 56th-ranked player, quickly defeated Kelli Hine, 6-0, 6-1, at the No. 2 line to give the Aggies a 2-0 edge. The reigning SEC Freshman of the Week pushed her record to 9-3 in dual matches and a 4-1 mark in SEC action.
Moments later, Hristov ousted Rhyner, 6-1, 6-1, at the No. 4 line, increasing the Maroon and White’s lead to 3-0. The sophomore improved to 9-3 and 3-1 in conference play.
Rutuja Bhosale would not allow the Tigers to stick around, as she secured the win against Spearman, 6-2, 6-3, at the No. 5 line. The freshman boasts a 6-4 record in dual matches.
The Aggies will be in action again on Friday, March 28, when they travel to Georgia to face the Bulldogs. Visit AggieAthletics.com for more information on Texas A&M women’s tennis. Aggie fans also can keep up to date with the A&M women’s tennis team on Twitter by following @AggieWTEN or on Facebook at Facebook.com/AggieWomensTennis.
No. 7 Texas A&M 4, Missouri 0
George P. Mitchell Tennis Center
College Station, Texas
March 22, 2014
1. #14 Cristina Stancu (TAMU) vs. Cierra Gaytan-Leach (MU) 7-6 (4), 2-4 (unfinished)
2. #55 Saska Gavrilovska (TAMU) def. Kelli Hine (MU) 6-0, 6-1
3. #100 Anna Mamalat (TAMU) vs. Rachel Stuhlman (MU) 6-3, 4-2 (unfinished)
4. Stefania Hristov (TAMU) def. Madison Rhyner (MU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Rutuja Bhosale (TAMU) vs. Cassidy Spearman (MU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Jana McCord (TAMU) vs. Tracy Dong (MU) 6-1, 4-3 (unfinished)
Doubles (A&M wins the points)
1. #23 Hristov/Stancu (TAMU) def. Gaytan-Leach/Stuhlman (MU) 8-6
2. #60 Deheza/Gavrilovska (TAMU) def. Rhyner/Spearman (MU) 8-2
3. Bhosale/Mamalat (TAMU) vs. Hine/Dong (MU) 7-5 (unfinished)
Order of finish
Singles: 2, 4, 5
Doubles: 2, 1
Texas A&M: 13-3, 6-1 SEC
Missouri: 5-14, 0-7 SEC