(#13) Texas A&M AGGIES
at 2012 Big 12 Men's Golf Championship
Friday, April 27 - Sunday, April 29, 2012
Whispering Pines Golf Club (par 72/7,330 yards) • Trinity, Texas
Big 12 Championship Notes
- Texas A&M goes for the program's first Big 12 title this week when the Aggies participate in the 16th annual Big 12 Men's Golf Championship Friday through Sunday at Whispering Pines Golf Club in Trinity, Texas ... A&M placed second in each of the last two years and has finished fourth or better in six straight seasons.
- The Aggies are the No. 2 seed for the tournament, and enter off a runner-up showing at last weekend's Aggie Invitational at Traditions Club.
- A&M has finished fifth or better in 10 of 11 tournaments this season, winning the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate in the fall ... the Aggies have placed first, second or third in six events overall.
- Fans can follow the action online at www.golfstat.com ... links will be available at aggieathletics.com.
- Updates and photos can also be found via Twitter at @AggieMensGolf.
Whispering Pines Golf Club (par
- Whispering Pines Golf Club in Trinity, Texas-one of the top clubs in the state-is hosting the Big 12 Championship for the fourth time in the event's history (2005, 2008, 2010).
- The Nicklaus Group-designed Championship Course is located on a spectacular 400-acre property bounded by creeks and lakes that offers beautiful shoreline vistas, abundant wildlife, and a risk reward golf challenge that is hard to match.
- For the seventh year in a row, The Dallas Morning News named Whispering Pines Golf Club the No. 1 Texas Golf Course in their Texas Golf 2012 Edition ... since The Dallas Morning News published its first annual state golf rankings in 1989, only one other course has held the No. 1 ranking for seven consecutive years: Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, Texas (1989-95).
- The course is about 80 miles east of College Station and is located on the far northern shores of Lake Livingston ... the course's address is 1532 Whispering Pines Drive, Trinity, TX 75862 ... admission is free.
- The tournament will be 72 holes of stroke play, with each team playing 5 and counting 4 scores ... two rounds will be played on Friday, with the third round scheduled for Saturday and the fourth and final round set for Sunday.
Texas A&M Lineup
Name Ht. Wt. Cl. Avg. Rds. Par/- Top 10s Lo 18/54
Ty Dunlap 6-1 180 Fr. 73.52 27 14 2 68 / 214
Jordan Russell 6-0 155 Sr. 72.50 36 14 4 66 / 205
Geoff Shaw 5-8 145 Sr. 73.13 30 12 4 65 / 205
Johannes Veerman 6-3 185 So. 72.89 18 10 3 69 / 209
Greg Yates 5-11 180 RFr. 72.15 27 15 4 66 / 204
- All 10 conference schools sponsor men's golf ... the field will consist of Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, A&M and Texas Tech.
- The six Big 12 "South" members all participated in last week's Aggie Invitational at Traditions Club (Baylor, OU, OSU, Texas, A&M and Tech).
- Golfweek/Sagarin (April 22): Texas (1), Texas A&M (13), Oklahoma State (27), Baylor (29), Oklahoma (30), Texas Tech (47).
- Golf World/Nike Golf Coaches' Poll (April 12): Texas (1), Texas A&M (13), Baylor (RV), Oklahoma (RV), Oklahoma State (RV).
- Golfstat Rankings (April 18): Texas (1), Texas A&M (15).
Day 1 Pairings
- No. 1 Texas and No. 2 Texas A&M will tee off at 8 a.m. hole one, while No. 3 Oklahoma State and No. 4 Baylor will begin on the 10th tee ... fifth-seeded Oklahoma and sixth-seed Texas Tech will follow at the first hole at 8:45, while No. 7 Iowa State and No. 8 Missouri commence at the 10th tee ... rounding out the pairings are No. 9 Kansas State and No. 10 Kansas, who will be split between the first and 10th tees and will start at 9:30 a.m.
- The pairings for the second round of the first day will remain the same, but will switch starting times ... round two is scheduled to being 5 1/2 hours after the first-round tee times.
Quoteboard: Head Coach J.T.
- on the weekend: "We are really excited. This is what we play for all year. It's our last go round in the Big 12, we love Whispering Pines and we feel we have a team that can compete for the Big 12 Championship. Our guys are jacked to get out there and try and bring our last one home. It should be an exciting weekend."
- on Whispering Pines: "It's real similar to Traditions. If we can play here well we should be able to play there well, and vice versa. It's a Nicklaus course, the same architect that built our course. It's visually intimidating off the tee-there is lots of trouble and lots of trees. But really the fairways are pretty big. Once you get comfortable and realize there's a lot of room and areas to land your ball, it's not as difficult as it seems. The greens are much bigger than here, so there are more pin locations. But at the same time, there's also a lot more places to hit the green and still be putting."
- on familiarity with the field: "Yeah, there sure is (a lot of familiarity). The Big 12 teams, we see each other quite a bit during the regular season. And that's also a part of the Aggie Invitational, to give a Big 12 preview right before we play it. We just saw all those teams, competed great with everybody and beat most of them, and I feel like we're in great shape going in."
Aggies All-Time at Big 12s
- Texas A&M's best finish at the Big 12 Championship is runner-up, three times (2007, 2010 and 2011) ... the Aggies have finished fourth or better in each of the last 6 seasons ... A&M finished 7 shots back in '07 and 13 shots back in each of the last two seasons.
- The Aggies' lineup has competed in the Big 12 Championship a total of 3 times ... senior Jordan Russell has played in the event twice, while senior Geoff Shaw has played once-as a freshman in 2009 ... Russell was on the 2010 team, A&M's last to compete at Whispering Pines ... he finished seventh with an even-par 288.
HUTCHINSON, Kan. (April 27, 2011)-No. 6-ranked Texas A&M turned in the second-best score of the day on Wednesday en route to a second-place finish at the 2011 Big 12 Men's Golf Championship at Prairie Dunes Country Club.
The Aggies shot a 295 in the final round, and wrapped play with a 32-over 1152 (286-296-275-295). It was the second-best score for A&M at Big 12s since the event went to a four-round format in 2008. Texas A&M has now finished fourth or better in each of the last six Big 12 championships.
No. 1-ranked Oklahoma State won its fifth consecutive league title after carding a 19-over 1139 (283-292-270-294). No. 11 Texas (+40) finished third, eight shots back of A&M, with No. 14 Texas Tech (+43) and Missouri (+53) rounding out the top five. Oklahoma (+58), Baylor (+63), Nebraska (+74), Kansas (+76), Colorado (+88), Kansas State (+100) and Colorado (+100) rounded out the field.
Seniors Nacho Elvira (69-77-71-72=289) and Conrad Shindler (71-74-69-75=289) finished in a tie for seventh at 9-over, while sophomore Cameron Peck placed 11th at 10-over (69-78-69-74=290) and senior John Hurley finished 36th (77-76-73-76=302, +22).
OSU's Morgan Hoffmann claimed medalist honors for the second time in his career, besting the field by five strokes with an even-par 280 (70-69-68-73).
Last Time at Whispering Pines
TRINITY, Texas (April 25, 2010)- The No. 2-ranked Texas A&M men's golf team made a run on Sunday but couldn't catch top-ranked Oklahoma State at 2010 Big 12 Men's Golf Championships at Whispering Pines Golf Club.
The Aggies were one-over as a team in the final round to jump past Texas Tech and Texas, but the Cowboys would not come back to the pack with a six-under 282 on Sunday. A&M fired rounds of 280-285-292-289 and finished at six-under, which was 13 shots behind the Cowboys (-19). Looking up at the Aggies and Cowboys were Texas (-4), Texas Tech (even), Kansas State (+11), Baylor (+19), Oklahoma (+32), Nebraska (+32), Colorado (+36), Iowa State (+51), Missouri (+53) and Kansas (+58).
"Congratulations to Oklahoma State, they are a fantastic team and played great golf all week," Aggie golf coach J.T. Higgins said. "I am so proud of our team because it was obvious we were not going to catch them after the front nine, but we kept playing like we had a chance and quietly moved up the leaderboard. We finished really strong on the toughest part of the course and ended up in second. We are now 3-and-3 with (OSU) this season. The rubber match will be at nationals and we look forward to seeing them again."
The Aggies were paced by senior Andrea Pavan, who finished in a tie for third at six-under with rounds of 71-66-71-74=282. Sophomore Jordan placed in a tie for seventh at even par with rounds of 68-69-76-75=288. Junior Conrad Shindler tied for 12th at one-over with rounds of 70-75-72-72=289. Junior Nacho Elvira posted A&M's low round of the day with a two-under 70 and placed in a tie for 22nd at six-over (73-77-76-70=294). Freshman Cameron Peck tied for 22nd at six-over with rounds of 73-75-73-73=294.
- Texas A&M anticipates a bid to its 10th consecutive NCAA Regional, scheduled for May 17-19 at one of six sites ... selections will be announced on Monday, May 7 at 8 p.m. (CT) live on NCAA.com.
- Regional sites are Greensboro, North Carolina (Grandover Resort); Athens, Georgia (Univ of Georgia GC); Ann Arbor, Michigan (Univ of Michigan GC); Bowling Green, Kentucky (The Club at Olde Stone); Norman, Oklahoma (Jimmie Austin OU GC); and Palo Alto, California (Stanford GC).
- The top five teams in each regional advance to nationals, which are scheduled for May 29-June 3 at Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif.