COLLEGE STATION, Texas --- The Texas A&M football team will open its 2013 campaign with a 12 noon contest against the Rice Owls on Saturday at Kyle Field.
With a crowd in excess of 80,000 anticipated and temperatures expected to approach triple digits, here are some reminders and tips for fans:
- The “cool zone” area will be located inside the McFerrin Indoor Track, which is located on the west side of Kyle Field. There are no cool zones on the east side of Kyle Field, however, there will be “mister fans” on all three decks of the east side. Fans are encouraged to protect themselves from the sun with hats and sunblock and to hydrate before and during Saturday’s game.
- Fans can bring an unopened plastic bottle of water. No jugs or coolers are permitted.
- The popular “Spirit Walk” will originate from the Clayton W. Williams Jr. Alumni Center at the corner of George Bush Drive and Houston Street due to construction. The Aggies, along with coaches and staff, will walk from the Alumni Center to Kyle Field. The team is scheduled to arrive two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff. Kids Yell Practice will take place at the Alumni Center Ring Plaza two hours and 30 minutes prior to kickoff.
- Fans can speed up their entry into Kyle Field by not bringing a bag or purse to the stadium. All bags and purses will be inspected at bag check lines, which adds to congestion at the entry gates.
- Due to construction on the student side (east side) of Kyle Field, there are additional emergency exits on the north and side ends of the second deck to the ground.
- For students with mobility issues, the Eagle Scouts shuttle has moved to Gate 1 (was at Gate 14 last year).
- There will be an additional express entry gate (no bags) at the southeast corner of Kyle Field at Gate 3.
- Fans are encouraged to be on the lookout for Mexican free-tailed bats, which are a protected species and call Kyle Field their home. If seen, avoid all contact with the mammal and contact an usher or law enforcement personnel.
Texas A&M, which has a streak of 14 straight sellout games, still has tickets for sale for Saturday’s Aggies vs. Owls contest. Go to the Ticket Center at 12thManFoundation.com or call 1 (888) 99-AGGIE (992-4443) or (979) 846-8892 for tickets.