College Basketball Invitational Round #1:
Wyoming (18-14) at Texas A&M (17-15)
March 19, 2014 · 7:00 p.m. (CT)
Reed Arena (12,989)
College Station, Texas
TV: Fox College Sports-Pacific (For more info - AggieAthletics.com/TV), Play-by-Play
Tap Bentz, Commentary
available on DirecTV Ch 623
RADIO: Texas A&M Radio Network
Al Pulliam, Commentary
Local: WTAW-AM 1620 (College Station/Bryan)
LIVE AUDIO/STATS: AggieAthletics.com
LIVE MOBILE LIVE STATS: tamustats.com
TICKETS: Available at the door or online at tickets.12thManFoundation.com
COLLEGE STATION – The Texas A&M men’s basketball team makes its debut in the College Basketball Invitational on Wednesday night when the Aggies welcome Wyoming to Reed Arena for a 7 p.m. contest.
The Aggies are playing in a post-season tournament for the eighth time in the last 10 seasons and are hoping to use the CBI as a chance to gain valuable experience for the team’s young core of players. In the event’s seven-year history, eighteen teams have used the CBI to springboard to the NCAA Tournament the following year, while another 10 went on to the NIT.
Tickets for Wednesday’s game are priced as low as $5 and can be purchased by contacting the 12th Man Foundation (1 (888) 99-AGGIE (992-4443) / www.12thManFoundation.com) or at the Reed Arena ticket window on game day.
Texas A&M students, meanwhile, will be admitted to the game for free thanks to the generous support of Mountain Dew while Texas A&M Transportation Services has also announced that parking at Reed Arena on Wednesday will be free.
The contest is slated to be televised by Fox College Sports Pacific, check with your cable provider or AggieAthletics.com/TV for availability in your area.
Additionally, the game can be heard on the Texas A&M Sports Network with local coverage in the Bryan/College Station area on WTAW (1620 AM).
The Aggies enter the CBI with a 17-15 overall record after dropping a heartbreaking 91-83 double-overtime loss to Missouri last week during the second round of the SEC Tournament.
During the Missouri game, Texas A&M was led by sophomore guard Alex Caruso who contributed a career-high 28 points with five 3-point baskets while also pacing the team in both rebounds (8) and assists (7).
Jamal Jones, meanwhile, put forth a gutty performance by contributing 20 points against the Tigers to notch his eighth game with 20 or more points this season despite missing practice for several days leading up to the SEC Tournament due to illness.
Wyoming comes to Aggieland with an 18-14 mark this season that includes a 9-9 mark in the Mountain West Conference. The Cowboys are led by fourth-year head coach Larry Shyatt and are making their third consecutive trip to the CBI.
Prior to taking the head job in Laramie, Shyatt spent seven seasons as an assistant under Billy Donovan at Florida, helping the Gators capture the 2006 and 2007 national championships.
• The Texas A&M men's basketball team will make its first-ever appearance in the College Basketball Invitational (CBI) ... The Aggies begin their run in the tournament by hosting Wyoming on Wednesday at Reed Arena.
• The contest against the Cowboys will be just the third post-season men's basketball game to be held at Reed Arena, following a pair of NIT contests during the 2005 campaign ... It also stands as the fourth-ever postseason men's basketball game in College Station, joining an NIT contest against Lamar at G. Rollie White Coliseum in 1982
• The CBI appearance is Texas A&M's 19th all-time in a post-season tournament ... Texas A&M is 15-19 in post-season tournaments during program history.
• It also marks the eighth time in the last 10 seasons that the Aggies have played in a post-season event.
• Sophomore Alex Caruso erupted for a career-best 28 points during the Aggies' most recent outing against Missouri at the SEC Tournament, sinking five 3-point shots while pulling down a career-high tying eight rebounds to go along with a game-high seven assists ... The College Station, Texas, native leads all SEC players in both assists (154) and assists per game (4.8) while ranking second in the league in total steals (65) and steals per game (2.0).
• Junior forward Kourtney Roberson pulled down his 600th career rebound against the Tigers at the SEC tournament, he currently ranks 15th in the A&M record books with 603 career boards.
• On the defensive end, Texas A&M has been solid, ranking third in the SEC in both scoring defense (63.4 points per game allowed) and field goal percentage defense (.402).
• Texas A&M head coach Billy Kennedy served as an assistant coach at Wyoming during the 1987-88 season, helping guide the Cowboys to an NCAA Tournament appearance.
SERIES HISTORY VS. WYOMING (A&M LEADS 3-1)
• Wednesday will be the fifth meeting between the Aggies and Cowboys on the hardwood ... A&M owns a 3-1 edge in the all-time series.
• The last meeting between the two schools also came in the postseason as the teams faced off in Laramie, Wyoming, on March 13, 1986, during the NIT ... The Cowboys earned a 79-70 victory over the Shelby Metcalf-coached Aggies.
• The two schools have never met in College Station with three of the four all-time meetings have come on a neutral court.
THE COLLEGE BASKETBALL INVITATIONAL
The CBI is a postseason tournament comprised of a 16-team field and hosted at on-campus arenas throughout the country. The CBI is a single-elimination tournament, up until the Championship Series, which is unique in college basketball in being a best-of-three series. The CBI provides a meaningful opportunity for teams deserving of a postseason experience.
The history of the CBI is strong. Past champions include Tulsa, Oregon State, VCU, Oregon, Pittsburgh, and Santa Clara. Eighteen teams have used the CBI to springboard to the NCAA Tournament the following year, while another 10 went on to the NIT.
A sample of CBI success includes:
• Pittsburgh winning the 2012 CBI and earning a No. 8 seed in the 2013 NCAA Tournament.
• In 2012, Creighton, Davidson, Montana, and St. Bonaventure all winning their respective league tournaments after playing in the 2011 CBI.
• VCU winning the 2010 CBI and then advancing to the Final Four the next season.
• Creighton advancing to the Championship Series of the 2011 CBI and in 2012 being ranked as high as 13th (AP) and 12th (ESPN/USA Today).
• Oregon winning the 2011 CBI and going 24-10 the following season, surpassing the previous season’s win total, which included five CBI wins.
• Morehead State playing in the 2010 CBI and the next year having, arguably, the greatest season in school history.
• Saint Louis advancing to the final of the 2010 CBI with a team featuring seven freshmen, four sophomores, and one junior. Those seven freshmen then headlined the 2013 Atlantic 10 regular season and tournament champions, earning a No. 4 seed in the 2013 NCAA Tournament.
• Richmond advancing to the semifinals of the 2009 CBI and going on to earn back-to-back NCAA Tournament bids for the first time in 19 years.
• UTEP reaching the Championship Series of the 2009 CBI and then advancing to the 2010 NCAA Tournament and winning 51 games the next two seasons.
• Tulsa winning the 2008 CBI prior to winning 48 games the next two years.
• Utah playing in the 2008 CBI and going on to win 24 games the next season and reaching the NCAA Tournament for the first time in four years.
REED ARENA SUCCESS
• The Aggies are 16-3 on their home court this season.
• A&M is 85-21 at Reed Arena since the start of the 2008-09 season with a 32-18 mark in conference games.
• The Aggies are 119-26 (.820) at home since the start of the 2006-07 season and are 151-32 (.825) since the start of the 2004-05 campaign.
• A&M has won 65 of its last 78 home games against unranked opponents (25 of last 35 in conference play).
• A&M is 193-72 (.728) in 15 seasons at Reed Arena ... the Aggies were 41-41 the first six years at Reed and are 151-32 since.
• Texas A&M is 9-1 in non-conference games at Reed Arena this season ... the Aggies are 117-12 (.907) all-time in non-conference games inside the facility, which hosted its first basketball game in the fall of 1998 ... a loss to Rice on Dec. 22, 2011, snapped A&M’s 67-game non-conference home win streak at Reed Arena (which dated back to the start of the 2005-06 season) and 80-game regular-season, non-conference home win streak (which dated back to 2003), both school records.
MOBILE LIVE STATS
Fans can access official live statistics on their mobile devices of all Texas A&M basketball home games and select road games by visiting tamustats.com
PROMOTIONS – MARCH 18 VS. WYOMING
A&M STUDENTS GET IN FREE
Thanks to the generous support of Mountain Dew, Texas A&M students who present a valid student ID will be admitted into the game for free.
Parking at Reed Arena will be free also on Wednesday thanks to the support of Texas A&M Transportation Services.
GREAT PRIZES FOR FANS & STUDENTS
Fans at the game will have the chance to win a variety of great prizes by registering at the 12th Man Rewards tables on the concourse.
Among the great prizes up for grabs will be a $100 Wells Fargo gift card and $50 gift cards to Academy and Rudy’s Bar-B-Q as well as adidas sunglasses and Beats headphones.
Fans inside Reed Arena on Wednesday will have plenty of chances to add to their wardrobe as t-shirts will be thrown into the stands each time the Aggies score.
KID’S COURT IN THE MEN’S PRACTICE GYM
Prior to the game kids (Sixth grade and younger) can participate in “Kid’s Court” inside the men’s practice gym from 6 p.m. to 6:40 p.m. Kids will have the chance to shoot baskets or participate in poster making, face painting and other activities.
Kids and parents can access “Kid’s Court” by entering the Cox-McFerrin Center for Aggie Basketball from the arena concourse and following the signage for “Kid’s Court”.
AGGIE WRANGLERS TO PERFORM AT HALFTIME
The Aggie Wranglers will entertain the crowd with a performance at the intermission.