GAINESVILLE, Fla.--Texas A&M suffered its fifth-straight setback Saturday afternoon, falling 69-36 to No. 3 Florida in Gainesville before 12,426 at the O'Connell Center.
The Aggies (12-9, 3-5 SEC) were able to hold the Gators (19-2, 8-0) to just 1-of-12 shooting from behind the arc in the first half. A&M, however, could not out-muscle UF underneath for second-chance points and faced a 34-17 deficit heading into the locker room--one from which the Aggies were unable to recover.
Kourtney Roberson and Jamal Jones lead Texas A&M with 7 points apiece.
Florida was led by Michael Frazier's 21 points, while Patric Young grabbed a game-high 14 boards.
The Aggies return to action Wednesday night at Reed Arena when they host Mississippi State at 8 p.m.
Florida 69, Texas A&M 36
Feb. 1, 2014 ● O'Connell Center
TEAM RECORDS & SERIES NOTES
● Texas A&M fell to 12-9 on the season with a 3-5 mark in SEC games after the 69-36 loss at Florida on Saturday.
● The all-time series between the two schools now stands at 4-1 in favor of Florida.
● The Aggies were held to season lows in both points (36) and shooting percentage (25.9%) … Florida, meanwhile, shot 41.1 percent for the game.
● The Maroon & White used the starting line-up combination of Alex Caruso, Shawn Smith, Jordan Green, Antwan Space and Kourtney Roberson for the eighth time this season.
● Florida owned a 34-17 lead at the intermission … During the first half, A&M shot 7-of-23 (30.4%) from the floor, while UF made 12-of-30 first-half shot attempts (40%).
● The Aggies were led in scoring by Jamal Jones and Kourtney Roberson, who each finished with seven points … Roberson also added a team-best seven rebounds
● Senior Payton Carrell made his A&M debut during the contest.
● A&M head coach Billy Kennedy is now 44-42 in his third season at Texas A&M and 255-221 in 16 years as a head coach.
● After playing four of its last five games away from home, Texas A&M returns to Aggieland and Reed Arena to host Mississippi State on Wednesday at 8 p.m.