Aggie Basketball Game #21:
Texas A&M (12-8, 3-4 SEC) at No. 3 Florida (18-2, 7-0 SEC)
Feb. 1, 2014 · 3:00 p.m. (CT)
Stephen C. O'Connell Center (11,548)
TELEVISION: SEC TV (For more info - AggieAthletics.com/TV)
Joe Davis, Play-by-Play
Joe Dean, Jr, Commentary
RADIO: Texas A&M Radio Network
Dave South, Play-by-Play
Mike Caruso, Commentary
Local: WTAW-AM 1620 (College Station/Bryan)
LIVE AUDIO/STATS: AggieAthletics.com
LIVE MOBILE LIVE STATS: tamustats.com
COLLEGE STATION – For the first time since 1992 the Texas A&M men’s basketball team will make a visit to the O’Connell Center in Gainesville Florida where Saturday the Aggies face No. 3 Florida at 3 p.m. (CT).
Texas A&M (12-8, 3-4 SEC) seeks to become the first SEC team to knock off the Gators (18-2) this season as Florida enters the weekend riding a 12-game winning streak which has propelled them to the top of the league standings with a perfect 7-0 SEC record.
The game also stands as the fourth road contest for the Aggies in their last five games.
Saturday’s match-up will be televised on SEC TV with Joe Davis (play-by-play) and Joe Dean, Jr. (commentary) calling all the action. Fans are encouraged to check www.AggieAthletics.com/TV for a list of stations carrying the game. In the Bryan-College Station region, CW Aggieland (CW8) will carry the game.
Additionally, the game can be heard on the Texas A&M Sports Network with local coverage in the Bryan-College Station area on WTAW (1620 AM).
Sophomore Alex Caruso continues to rank among the top playmakers in the SEC as the College Station, Texas, native leads the league in both assists (93) and assists per game (4.7) while also ranking second in steals (43) and fourth in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.9).
A year ago, Caruso led the Aggies with 12 points as the Gators defeated Texas A&M 68-47 at Reed Arena in their lone match-up of the season.
Before facing Texas A&M, Florida will have just one day off after defeating Mississippi State 62-51 in Starkville, Miss., on Thursday night. Senior forward Casey Prather paced the Gators in the win by scoring 16 points on 7-of-8 shooting from the floor.
This season, Prather (16.7 points per game) highlights a group of five Gators, including Scottie Wilbekin (12.2), Michael Frazier II (12.2), Patric Young (10.7) and Dorian Finney-Smith (10.3), who average double-digits in scoring for head coach Billy Donovan.
• The Aggies complete their most road-heavy portion of the schedule this weekend when they travel to Gainesville, Fla., to battle No. 3 Florida ... Texas A&M will be playing its fourth SEC road game in its last five games, only Alabama, Florida and Kentucky have similar road-intensive periods on their 2013-14 schedules.
• Saturday marks just the fifth-ever meeting between the Aggies and the Gators on the hardwood as well as Texas A&M's first-trip to Gainesville since 1992.
• The Gators enter the weekend ranked No. 3 in the latest installment of the Associated Press Top 25 and will stand out as Texas A&M's highest-ranked opponent since No. 3 Missouri on Feb. 18, 2012 ... The Aggies' last victory over a top-10 opponent came on Feb. 3, 2007, when A&M defeated No. 6 Kansas 69-66 in Lawrence, Kan.
• Both teams enter the contest riding a streak as the Aggies will look to snap a four-game losing streak while the Gators seek to continue a 12-game winning streak.
• Saturday's contest pits two of the SEC's strongest defensive teams against one another ... For the season, Florida leads the league in scoring defense by allowing just 58.8 points per game while Texas A&M ranks second (63.0).
• Last season, the two teams squared off at Reed Arena with Florida earning a 68-47 victory ... Alex Caruso led A&M in scoring with 12 points in the contest.
• Caruso continues to be the SEC's leader in both assists (93) and assists per game (4.7) ... The College Station, Texas, native also ranks second in steals (43) and fourth in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.9).
SERIES HISTORY VS. FLORIDA (FLORIDA LEADS 3-1)
• Saturday will be just the fifth-ever meeting between the Aggies and Gators on the hardwood and the first in Gainesville since 1992.
• Last season on Jan. 17th, No. 10 Florida earned a 68-47 victory over the Aggies at Reed Arena ... Mike Rosario led the Gators with 19 points, while Patric Young and Erik Murphy contributed 18 and 16 points, respectively ... A&M was paced in scoring by Alex Caruso who finished with 12 points and four steals.
• During the most recent meeting prior to last season, the two schools met last season on Dec. 17, 2011, at Bank Atlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla., during the Orange Bowl Classic ... The result was a 84-64 UF victory ... A&M was led in scoring by David Loubeau and Elston Turner, who finished with 20 apiece.
• The two schools first met on Jan. 2, 1992, when the Tony Barone-led Aggies fell to Florida 73-46 in Gainesville ... The next season on Dec. 22, 1992, the Aggies got a measure of revenge by handing the Gators a 84-64 defeat in College Station.
• A&M head coach Billy Kennedy is 0-2 vs the Gators while UF's Billy Donovan has won both times he's faced A&M.
After playing four of its last five games away from home, Texas A&M returns to Aggieland and Reed Arena to host Mississippi State on Wednesday at 8 p.m.