COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) - Jamal Jones scored 16 points to lead three in double figures as Texas A&M defeated McNeese State 73-60 Saturday.
Jones scored 10 points in the first half. He made back-to-back 3-pointers just before half to help Texas A&M (8-2) build a 44-31 halftime lead. Jordan Green hit a 3-pointer to give the Aggies a 51-38 lead with 13:08 to play.
McNeese State (2-7) followed with a 6-0 run to pull within seven points, but the Cowboys did not get closer. Back-to-back three-point plays, and another 3-pointer by Jones helped the Aggies build a 14-point lead with 7:36 remaining.
Kourtney Roberson scored 14 points. Alex Caruso added 13 points and a game-high seven assists for Texas A&M. The Aggies also shot 13 of 14 from the line, a season-best 92.9 percent.
Desharick Guidry scored a game-high 17 points and grabbed nine rebounds. Keelan Garrett added 13 points to lead McNeese State.
Texas A&M 73, McNeese State 60
Dec. 14, 2013 ● Reed Arena
TEAM RECORDS & SERIES NOTES
● Texas A&M improved to 8-2 on the season with the 73-60 win over McNeese State at Reed Arena Saturday evening … The Aggies are a perfect 8-0 on their home court this season.
● Additionally, A&M improved to 116-11 (.913) all-time in non-conference games inside Reed Arena.
● The all-time series between the two schools now stands at 5-1 in favor of Texas A&M, which has won the last four meetings.
● The Aggies shot 46.3 percent (25-of-54) from the floor during the victory after getting off to a hot start that saw them shoot 51.6 percent (16-of-31) in the first half.
● Conversely, A&M limited the Cowboys to just 39.2 percent (20-of-51) shooting, marking the seventh time in 10 games this season the Aggies have held an opponent under 40 percent from the floor in a game.
● From 3-point range the Aggies were 10-of-22 (45.5%), matching the most number of 3-pointers they have made in a game this season.
● A&M was guilty of nine turnovers, including just three in the first half, to register under double-digit give-a-ways for the second time this season.
● The Aggies racked up 19 assists on 25 made field goals.
● Texas A&M scored 44 points in the opening half, matching a similar 44-point first half against Arkansas-Pine Bluff (11/26) for the most points it has scoring in the first half of a game this season.
● The Maroon & White used the starting line-up combination of Alex Caruso, Davonte Fitzgerald, Jordan Green, Jamal Jones and Kourtney Roberson for the second time this season.
● The Aggies owned a 44-31 advantage at halftime.
● Junior guard Jamal Jones led the Aggies in scoring for the second straight contest, finishing with 16 points on 6-of-12 shooting, including a 4-of-9 mark from beyond the 3-point arc … The Wynne, Ark., native also registered a personal-best five assists.
● Junior forward Kourtney Roberson reached double-digits for the seventh time this season … the SEC’s leader in field goal percentage coming into the game, he was 6-of-10 from the floor to end with 14 points.
● Also reaching double-digits in scoring for A&M was sophomore guard Alex Caruso, who finished with 13 points on 4-of-5 shooting to go along with a game-high seven assists.
● A&M head coach Billy Kennedy is now 40-35 in his third season at Texas A&M and 251-214 in 16 years as a head coach.
● The Aggies will travel to Houston next Saturday, Dec. 21, to face former Big 12 rival Oklahoma inside the Toyota Center during the Dickies Shootout presented by Target.
● McNeese State, meanwhile, will face Louisiana Tech in Ruston, La., on Tuesday.