COLLEGE STATION, Texas (myplates.com)--The man honored as an official 12th Man in front of 88,000 roaring Aggies didn’t even know it was coming. Dan Moran was just excited he was getting to attend the college game of the season at Kyle Field, home of the 12th Man, as a proud member of the Class of 2003.
Then in the second quarter, Moran found himself in the company of Governor Rick Perry as they made their way toward the north end zone. There, Moran was joined by Texas A&M University President Dr. R. Bowen Loftin, Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Board Chairman John Walker III and My Plates President Steve Farrar. Walker presented Moran with the one and only 12THMAN license plate.
Texas A&M regent Tony Buzbee, Class of 1990, a former Marine Corps infantry officer and winner of the 12THMAN Plate Auction, won the plate with a bid of $115,000 Thursday and instructed that the plate be given to Moran.
“Dan Moran epitomizes what it is to be a 12th Man, not only to Texas A&M University, but to our country,” says Buzbee.
Moran earned both his undergraduate and MBA degrees from Texas A&M. As an undergraduate, he participated in the A&M Corps of Cadets as a Combined Aggie Band Commander. After graduation, Moran survived serious injuries during his two combat tours in Operation Iraqi Freedom, earning him the award of Purple Heart and the Navy Commendation Medal with Valor. He medically retired as a Captain from the United States Marine Corps and is now Chairman and CEO of Moran Enterprises.
Buzbee says, “Dan exemplifies the spirit of the 12th Man and has lived a life of honor, courage and commitment – all hallmarks of Aggie Leadership.”
The $115,000 paid for the exclusive 12th Man plate will go to Texas A&M University and the General Revenue Fund of Texas.
Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Board Chairman and member of A&M Class of 76, John Walker III, said, “The TxDMV is proud to have been a part of this unique opportunity in Texas A&M history. Even if you aren’t lucky enough to be an Aggie, this is a great moment for everyone since 69 percent of the money raised in the 12th Man auction goes into the State’s general revenue fund which helps pay for services for all Texans, and the remaining 31 percent will go to fund scholarships at Texas A&M. It is programs and innovative thinking like this that puts Texas out front of other states.”
My Plates President Steve Farrar says, “Much credit for the success of this event goes to our partners at Texas A&M University. Their call to Aggie fans has resulted in a runaway auction record in the State of Texas, and their fans make A&M license plates a top seller year-round. We feel fortunate to be a part of this remarkable display of pride in the 12th Man tradition.”
See more auction results and photos at www.myplates.com/12THMAN.